Area: 4.87 acres.
Purchased: Work Project Administration (WPA), 1936.
Directions: Route 24 to exit 16 a east on route 1062.1 miles turn right onto Central Square 250 feet turn right onto River Street continue .1 miles park entrance on left.
Parking: There is a large parking area 10+ cars located at the park entrance.
One of the most important historic sites in West Bridgewater, MA, War Memorial Park commemorates the Town’s industrial heritage. It is regarded as the country’s first “industrial park” where shovels, nails, and other farming tools were produced in the late 18th century. During the Industrial Era, there were up to 13 different water-powered mills located at this site. Weirs and dams along the Town River were used by the mills and factories in this area are still intact.
Pulpit Rock, the site is a very first sermon preached by Rev. James Keith in 1663, is located in the northeast portion of the park overlooking the Town River.
In 1963, the property was purchased for $2,000 from the Ames Family is part of a WPA project to establish a historical park on the site. Landscape architect Evelyn Johnson designed War Memorial Park. The park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.
War Memorial Park provides access to Triple Arch Bridge, a hsitoric bridge which connects the Arch Street to the opposite side of Town River. The park is open to the public and provides easy and accessible walking trails, benches to sit relax, and a beautiful vista of the Town River.